A ripe banana goes to good use by minimizing the amount of sweetener added to this granola recipe. For those that love a clumpy granola and lots of fun textures to chew on, this healthy pecan and coconut-studded Banana Nut Granola is for you!
Clumpy Banana Nut Granola [Vegan]
- 3 cups old fashioned large flake oats
- 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- A pinch of ground pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed (about ½ cup)
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp maple syrup, or to taste
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut chips
- Preheat oven to 300⁰F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients, excluding the coconut chips.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together the wet ingredients. Then add to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Spread granola mixture onto prepared cookie sheet and press into an even layer, about ½ inch thick.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Add the coconut chips on top, gently fold in with the partially baked granola, flatten into a conjoint layer and continue to bake for another 20 to 25 minutes, or until granola is browned to your liking.
- Once out of the oven, do not mix and let cool completely before transferring to an airtight jar.