No matter how you decide to use it, this magic marinara is truly a classic. How is this sauce so darn tasty? The answer is simple: lots of love… and garlic, of course! With a splash of red wine, a drizzle of olive oil, and a pinch of red pepper flakes, this Classic Marinara also calls for a few family secrets that have never been revealed… until today.
Classic Marinara Sauce [Vegan]
- one 28-ounce can whole peeled Italian plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon unsalted vegan butter
- a pinch to 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- First, crush the tomatoes. Open the can and pour the entire contents into a medium bowl.
- Use your hands to squeeze and crush each tomato, breaking it apart into pieces. When finished, it should resemble a chunky purée. Set the bowl aside.
- Place a medium saucepan on the stove, but do not turn on the heat yet.
- Pour in the olive oil and garlic, toss to combine, then set the heat to medium. Once the garlic begins to sizzle, let it cook for 30 seconds, then pour in the crushed tomatoes including all the liquid in the bowl.
- Add the salt, sugar, red wine, butter, red pepper flakes, and sprig of rosemary, then stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer, and cook uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard the rosemary sprig, then use the sauce immediately, or transfer to a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week.