With an oat, date and almond base topped with a chocolate torte brought to life by espresso, this combination works incredibly well with chunky, sweet chestnuts inside. Gold glitter is the finishing touch for this pretty, rich dessert.
Chocolate, Coffee, and Chestnut Torte [Vegan]
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup dates, soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes then drained
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar
For the Torte Topping:
- 1 and 1/2 cups plain gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 3/4 cup stevia or coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons cacao or cocoa powder
- 12 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of espresso
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup cooked chestnuts, chopped
- Sieved cacao or cocoa powder
- Edible glitter spray
- Festive decorations!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, grease and line an 8-inch loose-bottomed cake tin.
- First make the base: Place the ingredients in a food processor or high powder blender and blend well for at least 1 minute until the mixture is broken down and comes together like a flapjack consistency.
- Tip this into the tin and press the mixture down with your fingers to cover and pack in tight.
- Next mix together the flour, ground almonds, stevia/coconut sugar, cacao/cacao, baking powder, bicarb and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Whisk together the almond milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside for 10 minutes – it creates a vegan buttermilk.
- Whisk in the melted coconut oil and vanilla into the milk mixture then pour into the dry ingredients and mix until a smooth batter. Fold in the chestnuts.
- Pour over the base and spread out evenly. Bake for 20-25 minutes until springy to touch and a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin then remove and place on a serving board.
- Dust with extra cacao/cocoa, edible glitter and decorations – then slice and serve!