Looking for a creative way to use some old bread? These muffins make a great snack or easy breakfast any day of the week.
Chocolate Chip French Toast Muffins [Vegan]
- 8 slices sandwich bread cut into squares (use 10-11 is using smaller slices) you can use gluten free bread if needed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 cup plant-based milk such as almond or coconut
- 2 flax 'eggs' 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed+ 6 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dairy free semi-sweet chocolate chips optional (can sub with raisins, blueberries, nuts, or dates)
Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 12-count muffin pan with oil or line with paper liners. Lay the bread squares out on a parchment or foil lined baking tray and toast in oven for 6 - 8 minutes until edges are browned. Remove from oven and cool.
Stir the flaxseed with water and allow it to set and thicken for about 5 minutes. In a medium mixing bowl combine the flax "eggs" with applesauce, coconut sugar, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Add the chocolate chips (or substitution) and bread squares and stir to combine. Coat the bread evenly then divide the mixture between the slots in the pan. Bake them for 15 - 20 minutes until the tops are browned. Remove and cool at least 5 minutes before eating. Serve topped with maple syrup if desired.
These are best warm but can be stored in an air-tight container for up to 5 days in the fridge.
- Chocolate Chip