This chunky tomato-based curry is loaded with chickpeas, potatoes, and fresh spinach and is made using a homemade curry paste. The spices are quite mild, so if you enjoy hot and spicy food, go ahead and throw in some more chili and garam masala. The curry is ideally served with basmati rice, but any grain that you have on hand also works.
Chickpea, Spinach, and Potato Curry [Vegan]
For the Curry Paste:
- 1 large onion
- 1/2–1 chili
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1-inch piece ginger
For the Curry:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 14.5-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cilantro powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 14-ounce cans of chickpeas
- Approximately 2.2 pounds of potatoes, cut
- 2 cups water, plus more as needed
- Blend all the curry paste ingredients in a food processor.
- Fry oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and bay leaves for few minutes. Add curry paste, tomatoes, and the rest of the spices and cook for few minutes.
- Roughly chop spinach and potatoes.
- Add spinach, potatoes, chickpeas, and water. Cover with lid and let it simmer for 30 minutes to an hour, until the potatoes are cooked. You might need to add some more water.