This will be your new favorite simple recipe! It requires very few fresh ingredients so you always have everything I need on hand to whip it up. It can be eaten alone, stuffed into sweet potatoes, used at a filling in tacos, or used to top homemade nachos. So many leftover possibilities!
Chickpea and Pinto Bean Chili [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Chickpea and Pinto Bean Chili [Vegan]
- 2 Cups Onion Medium Dice
- 2 Cups Red or Orange Bell Pepper Medium Dice
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Finely Chopped
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- Pinch Red Pepper Flakes optional
- 1-15 oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoon Tomato Paste
- 2 teaspoons veggie base (make sure it's vegan)
- 2 Cups Water*
- 3 Cups Chickpeas 2-15 oz cans**
- 1 1/2 Cups Pinto Beans or any other bean you have on hand 1-15 oz can**
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
How to Prepare Chickpea and Pinto Bean Chili [Vegan]
- Combine onion and bell pepper in a large dutch oven or sauce pot over medium high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are soft and beginning to brown. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute longer.
- Into the onion and bell pepper, add all of the spices plus a few cracks of freshly ground black pepper and stir. Let the spices cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the crushed tomatoes and stir. Next stir in the tomato paste, better than bullion and water. It will look pretty liquid-y. Brim the mixture to a simmer, turn down to low heat and simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- After 15 minutes add the beans. Stir to distribute and simmer for 15 more minutes, and remove from heat. If your chili isn't quite thick enough for your liking, continue simmering for 10 more minutes. Serve warm with your favorite toppings such as: chopped cilantro, tortilla chips, nutritional yeast, and guac.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.