An unexpected combination of hearty chestnut puree and fresh persimmon slices layered into a comforting (and secretly healthy) crepe cake.
Chestnut Persimmon Crepe Cake [Vegan]
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, room temperature
- 3/4 cup filtered water, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 cup cooked and peeled chestnuts
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup almond milk or non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 persimmons
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl or a blender.
- Heat a nonstick pan to medium-high heat. Grease lightly with coconut oil, if preferred.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan and swirl around to spread the batter into a thin round shape.
- Once the crepe gets a bit brown on the bottom and can be lifted easily, flip it over and cook on the other side until browned as well.
- Repeat until you run out of batter.
- Make the crepes according to the recipe and set aside.
- Puree the chestnuts, date, almond milk, vanilla, and salt in a food processor or a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Wash and slice the persimmons.
- On a serving plate, layer one crepe, spread 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of the chestnut puree on top, and cover in persimmon slices.
- Repeat the process until you run out of ingredients, topping with puree and chestnut slices
- Slice like a cake and serve right away.