Large roasted potatoes smothered and covered in a vegan nacho cheese broccoli sauce with added chickpeas to amp up the nutrition. The time may look daunting but most of the time it’s a hands-off recipe (except for making the cheese) since the potatoes and broccoli get roasted in the oven. For an easier weeknight meal, make the cheese in advance. If you freeze any leftover cheese it looks a bit grainy when defrosted, but once it gets heated back up the cheese comes back together.
Cheesy Broccoli Potatoes [Vegan]
For the Cheese:
- 1 medium potato (peeled and cubed)
- 1 large carrot (peeled and cubed)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight if you don’t have a high-speed blender)
- 1 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6–8 pickled jalapeños
For the Potatoes:
- the cheese
- 14 ounces broccoli florets
- 4 large Russet potatoes (scrubbed clean)
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F
- Scrub the potatoes then poke them many times with a fork on all sides.
- For large Russet potatoes roast for 60 minutes or until their insides are soft when pierced with a fork.
- When the potatoes have about 20 minutes left, roast the broccoli at 425 F (220 C) for 20 minutes.
- While the broccoli is roasting make the cheese sauce.
- Boil the potato and carrot (for the sauce) for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Drain the cashews then add them with the cooked potato and carrot and the rest of the cheese sauce ingredients into a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Warm up the cheese sauce with the chickpeas in a pot on the stove, keep warm until ready to serve.
- When the broccoli is done, rough chop it and add to the cheese sauce.
- Cut open the cooked potatoes, fluff the insides with a fork, then cover in cheese sauce.