This chai-spiced soup has all of the delicious and warming spices that combine so well with sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are puréed together with fennel, apple, spices, and creamy coconut milk to make this cozy, nourishing winter soup.
Chai-spiced Sweet Potato Soup [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 big sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/2 a fennel bulb, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 5 cups broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat coconut oil to medium heat in a large soup pot. Add the onions and saute until golden brown, 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat, add apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper, and purée until smooth.
- Return to the heat adjusting the consistency of the soup with water if required and adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Sweet Potato