These chewy and spiced cookies make the perfect treat!
Chai Spiced Snickerdoodles [Vegan]
For the Cookies:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour or gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour
- 1 tablespoon chai spice blend, store-bought or homemade (see Notes)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened dairy-free milk, room temperature (if needed)
For the Chai Sugar Coating:
- 1/4 cup chai spice blend
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Place an oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet (at least 17 by 14 inches) with parchment paper. Alternatively, you can bake the cookies in batches using 2 medium baking sheets.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, chai spice, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to beat the coconut sugar, coconut oil, applesauce, and vanilla extract until creamy.
- Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet mixture while stirring; continue stirring until the mixtures are well combined. You should have a sticky and thick dough. Add 2 tablespoons of dairy-free milk if needed to help the dough form. Set aside.
- Make the chai sugar coating: Whisk together the chai spice and sugar in a small bowl.
- Use a 1½-tablespoon cookie scoop to form a dough ball and roll it between your hands. Lightly roll the ball in the spiced sugar mixture.
- Repeat with the remaining dough to create 20 cookies, placing them on the prepared baking sheet, about 1½ inches apart. (If you don’t have a medium cookie scoop, scoop up heaping tablespoons of the dough and form them into balls between your hands.)
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the tops are lightly golden and the cookies have spread slightly.
- Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool for 15 minutes before removing from the pan. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days or in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Chai Spice