Who says you can't have pie for breakfast? Combine your love of chai tea with your favorite breakfast, sprinkle in some dessert and voila! Chai-spiced Oatmeal Tart!
Chai Spiced Oatmeal Tart With Coconut Vanilla Sauce [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Chai Spiced Oatmeal Tart With Coconut Vanilla Sauce [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups figs (an 8 oz package), stems removed, and chopped
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger
- dash of cinnamon and ground cardamom
- 4 dates, chopped
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen, thawed raspberries (plus more for garnish)
- 1/4 cup fruit juice-sweetened raspberry jam
For the Filling:
- 1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
- 4 cups strongly brewed chai tea
- 1/8 cup chia seeds
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- dash black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 cup dates, chopped and soaked for a few hours, then drained
- zest of 1/2 an orange
- 3 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp. non-dairy milk
For the Coconut Vanilla Sauce:
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. agave nectar
How to Prepare Chai Spiced Oatmeal Tart With Coconut Vanilla Sauce [Vegan]
To Make the Crust:
- In a food processor, add the figs, walnuts, and dates and process until chunky. Add the remaining ingredients and process until fairly smooth.
- Pat mixture into a 10" tart pan (with removable bottom), bringing some up along the sides. In a small bowl, lightly mash the fresh raspberries, then stir in the jam. Spread the mixture over the crust.
- Cover and chill until needed.
To Make the Oatmeal:
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the steel cut oats with 3 cups of the chai tea. Cover and let sit at room temperature overnight, or for about 8 hours.
- In the morning, add more tea to the oats if necessary. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low and simmer gently - adding more tea if the mixture becomes too dry. Stir in the chia seeds, spices, and orange zest. Cook until the oats are very soft, about 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of a food processor, process the dates, maple syrup, milk, and vanilla until smooth. Pour in about half of the oat mixture and process until smooth. Pour the processed oats back in with the whole oats and stir well.
- Pour the oat mixture into the prepared crust, smooth the top and add additional strawberries, if you like. Put the pie into the refrigerator to set - this only takes a couple of hours.
To Make the Sauce:
- In a small saucepan, combine all of the sauce ingredients and warm gently. Keep sauce warm until ready to serve with the pie.
- To serve, slice the pie (a wet knife helps) and warm for a few seconds in the microwave. Drizzle with the warm sauce and sprinkle with additional sliced strawberries.
Be sure to choose certified gluten-free oats if gluten is a concern.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Fat 17g, Protein 8g, Carbs 64gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.