This is a colorful variation of the classic alu gobi, or in Bengali alu phulkopi. This is a very simple creation that my mom calls chorchori or a medley of sorts. So, purple sweet potatoes are the new potatoes in our house, and I love the fact that they tend to retain their color.
Cauliflower With Purple Sweet Potatoes – Ranga Alu Diye Phulkopi [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon oil (mustard oil works well)
- 1 teaspoon panch phoron (Bengali Five Spice)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 medium sized purple sweet potatoes (or any color of your choice), cut into a dice
- 1 medium sized head of cauliflower (about 3/4 pound, cut into pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1 or 2 tomatoes, diced
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Heat the oil and add in the panch phoron and wait until the mixture begins to crackle add in the ginger and stir lightly.
- Add in the diced sweet potatoes and cover and cook on low for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add in the cauliflower, turmeric, salt and cayenne pepper and the tomatoes and stir lightly and well mixed. Cover and cook on medium low heat for about 10 minutes. We are essentially steam cooking the vegetables, so it is essential to have a good lid and make sure that this is being done on low heat.
- Remove the cover and give the vegetables a good stir, at this point they should be very soft. Add in the peas and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn of the heat, garnish with the cilantro and enjoy.