These tacos (two versions: non-fried and fried), are great and are made up with the stems of the carrots. Yes, we can eat ALL of the carrot. Once believed to be poisonous, the stems are actually healthy and beneficial. All parts of carrots are packed with vitamins and minerals, and are all packed with flavor.
Carrot Tacos [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup carrot leaves and sprigs, chopped small
- 2 cups grated carrots (or pulp from your juice)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup cilantro (you can also use parsley)
- 10-12 oz. extra firm tofu (a package)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- corn tortillas
- Remove the tofu from the package and drain it well. You can leave on roll paper napkins folded in four to absorb all the water that comes out.
- Heat a skillet and add the oil. Sauté the onion, be very careful not to burn. Crumble tofu into the onions and stir, allowing the tofu to take on the flavor of the onion.
- When onions begin to lightly brown, add the carrots and salt.
- Keep stirring until the mixture feels dry and loose, and then add the coriander and carrot greens.
- Warm the tortillas and make tacos with hot mix. Serve with green sauce.
- Spread carrot mixture over warmed tortillas and roll to form taquitos. In a pan, add oil and fry until golden brown. Serve with green salsita.
If making taquitos, but sure to the tortillas are warm so they will be pliable enough to roll or else they will tear.