A delicious and healthy Vegan Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. No eggs and Dairy-Free!
Carrot Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons flax seeds, ground
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 carrots
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple vinegar
- 1/2 cup pecan nuts
- 2 cups vegan whipping cream
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon pistachio nuts
- marzipan carrots or pecans
- Preheat oven to 356°F. Lightly grease or line with baking paper a 20 cm / 8 inch cake pan.
- Mix ground flax seeds with 8 tablespoons of water and let soak for about 5 minutes.
- In a smaller bowl mix dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl finely grate about 3 medium-sized carrots. Add coconut sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup. Melt coconut oil and add to the carrots and sugars. Add apple sauce and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, fold to combine, but do not overmix. Just combine until no more dry flour is visible.
- Roughly chop pecan nuts, add to the mixture and then add also a tablespoon of apple vinegar. Give it a quick stir and pour the mixture in your cake pan.
- Place in preheated oven to bake for about 40 minutes at 356°F, or until golden brown and baked through.
- Remove cake from oven, and let cool on a rack.
- Whip vegan whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Add vegan cream cheese (we used coconut based cream cheese) and whip until smooth.
- Cut the carrot cake horizontally in half. If the cake has a protruding "hat", feel free to cut that off as well. Place the bottom half on a cake stand and lightly sprinkle with water or apple juice to moisten the cake. Scoop about half of the cream cheese frosting and spread evenly on the cake. Place the upper half of the cake on top and top with the remaining cream cheese frosting. Leave the sides of the cake not frosted for a "naked" look.
- Decorate the cake to your liking. We used finely chopped pistachio nuts and decorative marzipan carrots. Pecan nuts will work as well!