Super easy cornbread with a moist and fluffy center, loaded with rich, buttery flavor and crispy edges.
Buttermilk Cornbread [Vegan]
For the Cornbread:
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- 1 cup 1 for 1 Gluten-Free Flour - I used Bulk Barn brand
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup melted vegan butter
For the Vegan Buttermilk:
- 1 cup non-dairy milk - I used soy milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
For the Vegan "Egg":
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 3 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a 9-inch pan or cast iron skillet and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the Vegan Buttermilk ingredients and set aside for 3-5 minutes.
- In another small bowl, whisk together ingredients for Vegan "Egg" and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sea salt, baking soda, baking powder and sugar. Mix well.
- Add melted butter, buttermilk and Vegan "Egg" to the dry ingredients and stir just until the mixture comes together.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20-22 minutes or until the top is a golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to sit in pan for at least 5-10 minutes before removing. This will help prevent any crumbling.
You can replace the melted butter with oil, however that yummy buttery flavour will be lost. Uneaten cornbread should be sealed very well in an airtight container and reheated