This brown rice porridge with rhubarb ginger compote is simply delicious and a great cooler weather breakfast in springtime!
Brown Rice Porridge With Rhubarb Ginger Compote [Vegan]
- 1 cup brown rice farina
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 teaspoon clove powder
- pinch sea salt
- Rhubarb compote
- 1 tablespoon lime or lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- spring microgreens
- 5 small stalks rhubarb, diced
- 8 strawberries, halved
- 6 dates, pitted & chopped
- 1/2 orange, juiced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 vanilla bean
- In a small pot, bring water to a boil. Add the brown rice farina and spices, use a fork to whisk together and avoid clumping in the porridge. Reduce to low simmer and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until well combined. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl and top with compote, chopped pistachios, citrus zest and a splash of almond milk.
- In a small pot, combine ½ chopped rhubarb, the strawberries, dates, ginger, vanilla and orange juice. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. As the mix starts to break down fully, add the remaining diced rhubarb and cook for another 5 minutes until tender but not dissolved – texture is the aim here! Remove from heat and set aside until ready to use.