These broccoli and garlic stuffed bean patties are easy to make, healthy, and impressive. The chickpeas are subtle in taste, but the savory surprise in the middle is packed with flavor. Broccoli, garlic, and lemon are truly a fabulous match. Baking allows the patties to crisp and harden slightly, so they keep their shape.
Broccoli and Garlic Stuffed Bean Patties With Beet Carpaccio [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Bean Patties:
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
For the Beet Carpaccio:
- Fresh beet
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Dried oregano
To Make the Bean Patties:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- In a food processor, add the chickpeas, onion, salt, and pepper. Grind until smooth. Stir in the chickpea flour. Remove from the bowl and set aside.
- In the same food processor bowl (with the chickpea mixture removed), combine the broccoli, garlic, lemon zest and juice, and olive oil and pulse until finely ground.
- To make the patties, divide your chickpea mixture into 16 equally sized mounds. Take one mound, and in your hands, flatten it into an oval. Lay it on a piece of plastic wrap. Repeat this 7 more times to make the bottom half of the patties.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the broccoli mixture to each flattened half.
- For the top of the patties, make 8 more flattened ovals and lay them on top of the bases. Gently press the edges to make sure they're closed.
- Oil a baking tray. Use the plastic wrap lift the patties easily into your hand and then onto the baking tray, and bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow the patties to cool slightly before serving or they will break apart.
To Make the Beet Carpaccio:
- Slice the beet really finely and dunk them in a bath of lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and dried oregano.