This salad is a warming one. Earthy and sweet at the same time, nutty with a hint of crunch and a breeze of fresh from the mint. Delicious freshly made, and even better the next day.
Beet and Bourgal Salad With Maple-Orange Dressing [Vegan]
- 1 1/4 cup brussels sprouts
- 2 1/4 cups beetroot
- 1 cup bourgal
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 (heaped) cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Sea salt and cracked pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Lay hazelnuts in a single layer on a baking tray and roast for 10 minutes, until they start to crack and smell fragrant. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Turn heat in oven up to 400°F. Trim tails off brussels sprouts and beetroot and cut into halves or quarters (depending on size). Lay in a single layer on an oiled baking tray (cut side down for the sprouts) and roast for approximately 45 minutes, or until the bottom of the brussels sprouts are nicely browned. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the vegetables are roasting, prepare the bourgal. In a bowl, cover the cup of bourgal with two cups of boiling water. Leave for 15 minutes, then drain well. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Once the hazelnuts have cooled remove the skins by rubbing them gently between your fingers. Roughly chop.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the orange juice, oil, maple syrup and vinegar. Crush (or finely dice) the garlic and add to the dressing along with the thyme and salt & pepper to taste. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the bourgal and the dressing. Add the roasted vegetables, the hazelnuts and the mint leaves. Toss through and eat immediately.
This salad will keep well in the fridge (I actually preferred it the next day!) for up to three days, but only add the mint leaves as you are ready to eat.
- Beet Recipes
- Brussels Sprouts
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile