Meat loaf is the epitome of North American comfort food. This version is vegetarian, healthy and gluten free. It’s so good that you may be able to trick your meat-loving friends to give this a try.
Bean Loaf With Homemade BBQ Sauce [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups of finely chopped mushrooms (about 10 medium sized mushrooms)
- 1 can of green lentils (drained and rinsed)
- 1 tablespoon ground linseed
- 1/4 cup gram (chickpea) flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- BBQ Sauce
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF
- In a pot heat the olive oil and add the onion, carrots and celery.
- Add the garlic, oregano and paprika.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until softened.
- Add the drained lentils and linseed and smoosh the mixture against the side of the pot with your spoon to mash it up a bit.
- Add the gram flour and mix until absorbed and salt and pepper the mixture to your taste.
- Transfer the mixture into a loaf tin, add the BBQ sauce on top, and bake for 40 minutes until a caramelized crust forms.