Homemade bean balls tasty enough to win over even the pickiest eaters? Check.
Bean Ball Sandwiches [Vegan]
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2-4 tablespoons vegetable stock/broth
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 8 ounce button mushrooms, wiped cleaned with dry towel and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- a pinch - 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (depending on your desired spice)
- 15 oz can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- juice of 1 lemon, or about 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 1/4 cups breadcrumbs, divided
- 4 sub rolls
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- spinach or other greens, for serving
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the diced onion. As the onion begins to sauté, add 1 tablespoon of vegetable broth if the onions begin to stick. Add one tablespoon at a time, as needed. Cook onions until translucent and sautéed, about 5-7 minutes.
- Next, add the garlic and chopped mushrooms. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add the salt, oregano, black pepper, red pepper flakes, beans, and lemon juice. Stir and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Using a food processor, add your cooked mixture along with the parsley and 1 cup of breadcrumbs. Pulse until well combined. Let sit for about 5 minutes, which allows the breadcrumbs so soak up some moisture for rolling out the balls.
- While the mixture sits, in a small bowl, add the remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs. Roll out the bean mixture into balls using about 2 tablespoons of mixture, roll in the breadcrumbs, and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the bean balls for 30 minutes. Flip. Bake for another 20 minutes. When the bean balls are almost done baking, warm a jar of marinara sauce in a saucepan over medium-low heat. When the bean balls finish baking, add them to warm sauce.
- Prepare the sub roll by toasting (if desired). Add 3-4 bean balls to each roll and add fresh spinach to add a pop of color and a nutrition punch.