Fire up the grill, these are the yummiest BBQ Tofu Skewers! These tofu kebabs are sweet, tangy, and smokey. The grilled veggies add a little crunch to the skewers and they retain some of that smokey bbq flavor.
BBQ Tofu Skewers [Vegan]
For the Tofu:
- 17.6 ounces firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (sweet and tangy is best)
For the Skewers:
- 1 zucchini
- 1 red pepper
- 10 cremini mushrooms
- If using wooden skewers, start by soaking them in water while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- It's best if you can press your tofu for at least 20 minutes or buy already pressed tofu. If pressing yourself, wrap the tofu in a towel and set something with some weight on it for 20 minutes to remove the excess water.
- Once pressed, cut the tofu into roughly 1-inch cubes. Place in a bowl and toss the tofu in the paprika, garlic powder, and chili powder. Then add in the barbecue sauce and toss until the tofu is completely covered. Place a towel over the bowl and put in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- While the tofu is marinating, cut the pepper and zucchini into the desired size for the skewers. I left the mushrooms whole, but that's a personal choice.
- After the 1 hour mark, start assembling the skewers. Evenly distribute the tofu, pepper, zucchini, and mushrooms on the skewers. You should have 8-10 skewers (depending on how full you made them). Start up the bbq. Medium-high heat should do the trick.
- Place the skewers on a baking sheet and drizzle or brush some olive oil on them before placing on the bbq.
- The cooking time will depend on your bbq and its heat/space. Mine took roughly 5 minutes per side to brown up, but your grill could take more or less time, so keep an eye on them. When done, garnish with lime and green onions.