Praised for its health benefits and versatility, cauliflower is popping up in a ton of special diet communities, from vegan to paleo. It's been one of my favorite veggies for awhile, ever since I realized that it could be used instead of dairy in creamy sauces, and instead of chicken. I love it as a rice alternative too. But my latest obsession is cauliflower wings.
BBQ Cauliflower Wings [Vegan, Gluten Free, Oil Free]
Ingredients You Need for BBQ Cauliflower Wings [Vegan, Gluten Free, Oil Free]
For the BBQ Cauliflower Wings:
- 3 cups cauliflower florets (steamed gently if using frozen)
For the Batter:
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour (I used 1 cup brown rice flour + 1/2 cup white rice flour)
- Water to thin (about 1 1/2 cups depending on the flour you use)
- Spices of your choice (I combined 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp dried basil, 1/4 tsp pink salt)
For the Spicy BBQ Sauce:
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon or more maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or 1 tsp hot sauce (like red hot)
- 1/4 cup of water (to thin the sauce)
How to Prepare BBQ Cauliflower Wings [Vegan, Gluten Free, Oil Free]
For the Cauliflower:
- Preheat oven to 450F. Steam frozen cauliflower to thaw or use fresh. Make sure it is in nice floret pieces (not too tiny).
- Mix batter thoroughly in a mixing bowl until smooth like a waffle batter. Dip each floret to fully coat, gently tap off excess into batter bowl.
- Arrange on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake in hot oven for about 15 minutes, flip all pieces with a spatula and bake another 10 minutes. If adding a sauce, like BBQ sauce for wing style cauliflower, baste the cauliflower bites with some of the sauce and return to the oven for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and baste with more sauce. Serve with spicy vegan mayo.
For the Spicy BBQ Sauce:
- Stir all sauce ingredients together in a bowl. Use as sauce to baste the wings.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 1156 | Total Carbs: 200 g | Total Fat: 0 g | Total Protein: 22 g | Total Sodium: 237 g | Total Sugar: 20 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.