This is a fantastic way to prepare and serve tempeh, with the tempeh fingers being crispy, baked and flavourful it makes it an ideal dish for anyone who is transitioning to a whole food plant-based diet. When preparing tempeh, it’s important to infuse it with flavour. In this recipe, we braise the tempeh first, softening and moistening it to reduce its dense texture. Serving this dish with some homemade ketchup and a big green salad will make it even more outstanding!
Baked Tempeh Fingers [Vegan]
For the Flex Egg:
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup hot water
For the Almond Hazelnut Crust:
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup raw hazelnuts
- salt and pepper to taste
To Braise the Tempeh:
- Combine ginger, garlic, water, and coconut aminos in a saucepan and bring to boil. Add the sliced tempeh. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook for about 15-20min.
- Remove the braised tempeh and set aside to cool. Discard the marinade.
For the Flax "Egg":
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground flax seeds and warm water. Mix well and let sit for about 5 minutes until the consistency resembles thick pancake batter.
For the Rest of the Recipe:
- Add almonds and hazelnuts into a food processor or high-speed blender and process until coarse and sandlike consistency is achieved.
- Add salt and pepper and process for few more seconds.
- Place in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- Dip each slice of tempeh into the flax egg and immediately coat well in almond and hazelnut mixture.
- Set coated tempeh pieces onto a baking sheet and bake for 20-30 min or until golden brown and crisp. Don't over-bake your fingers or they will start to get dry.
- Remove from oven, let cool for a couple of minutes.
- Serve with homemade ketchup.