Can we please talk about how amazing savory pies are? Sure, dessert pies get most of the attention, but this vegan baked polenta pie has everything going for it flavor-wise. It’s creamy, earthy, savory, and oh so delicious. The pie only takes about an hour to prepare, which makes it the perfect brunch dish! Or you can add a simple green salad on the side, and you have a nice, light lunch or dinner.
Baked Polenta With Mushrooms [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Baked Polenta:
- 4 1/2 cups filtered water
- 1 1/2 cups course ground corn meal
- 16 ounces baby Portobello mushrooms
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, divided
- 6 tablespoons cashew cream, divided (recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- Cracked pepper, to taste
For the Cashew Cream:
- 1 1/2 cups cashews, soaked for 2 hours then drained
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper
To Make the Cashew Cream:
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Mix for 1-2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and process again until smooth and creamy.
To Make the Baked Polenta:
- Heat the oven to 350°F. In a medium saucepan, bring the water and 1 teaspoon of the salt to a boil.
- Add the cornmeal in a slow stream, whisking. Whisk in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and the dried sage. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until very thick, about 20 minutes. Stir in the nutritional yeast and 2 tablespoons cashew cream.
- Meanwhile, grease or butter an 8 by 12-inch baking dish. In a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on moderately high heat. Add half the shallots and onion. Cook for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt, and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon of fresh sage and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Remove.
- Pour the polenta into a pie dish and spread in an even layer. In the center of the pie, spread 4 tablespoons of cashew cream evenly to make a wide circle. Top the cream with a neat pile of mushrooms. You may have leftovers.
- Pop the vegan baked polenta in the oven for 15 minutes. When it’s done, top with 1 tablespoon fresh sage for garnish and let set for five minutes. Serve immediately or let cool completely before putting it in the refrigerator.
The cashew cream can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.