These beans are not your ordinary baked beans! They’re packed with flavor – including herbs, garlic, and lots of rich tomato sauce. Beans are full of protein, so they make for a filling breakfast or lunch that will energize you for the rest of the day. Plus, there are lots of veggies hidden in the sauce, so it’s a good way of meeting your daily vegetable quota if you or your kids are picky. Serve up these beans on toast, over potatoes, or whatever you like!
Baked Beans, Two Ways [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 can butter beans/cannellini beans
- 1/2 can tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mixed dried herbs
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 carrots
- 1 yellow pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh herbs or dukkah for garnish (optional)
- Dice the garlic, carrots, and pepper as small as possible.
- Heat the saucepan and firstly fry off the garlic for a couple of minutes, then add in the rest. Cover with a little bit of water, place the lid on, and simmer on medium for 5 minutes.
- Add in the chili, herbs, and canned tomatoes. Then, cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add in the beans, balsamic, and tomato puree. Allow the sauce to thicken up for 5 minutes. Once the carrots are soft ladle the baked beans onto your toast/potatoes.
Total Calories: 588 | Total Carbs: 116 g | Total Fat: 0 g | Total Protein: 34 g | Total Sodium: 2118 g | Total Sugar: 28 g Per Serving: Calories: 294 | Carbs: 58 g | Fat: 0 g | Protein: 17 g | Sodium: 1059 mg | Sugar: 14 g Calculation not including potatoes, toast, dukkah, or salt to taste.