This vegan apple cake will knock the socks off of anybody who tries it. It's fluffy, chunky, perfectly sweet, and amazing!
Apple Cake [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup neutral oil
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice*
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 large apples, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 350° F. Grease a bundt cake pan and set aside.
- Peel and dice the apples into small pieces and set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients: oil, syrup, applesauce, cider, and vanilla.
- Mix in the brown sugar, spices, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Mix in 1 cup of the flour until it's evenly incorporated.
- Mix in the 2nd cup of flour until it's evenly incorporated.
- Gently fold in the diced apple.
- Pour the batter into the greased bundt cake pan and spread it out evenly.
- Bake on the middle rack of your oven for about 30-35 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set the bundt cake pan on a drying rack for 5 minutes to cool.
- Once the bundt cake pan is cool enough to handle (you might still need oven mitts), flip the pan upside down on the drying rack and gently shake it a few times until the cake falls out of the pan.
- Let it cool for another 10-15 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, make the icing.
- Mix the powdered sugar and maple syrup in a bowl, and whisk until a smooth icing forms.
- Drizzle the icing over top of the cake in a stripe design.
- Let the icing set for a few minutes, then slice, serve, and enjoy!
If you don't have apple cider on hand, substitute the same amount for any non-dairy plant milk. If you don't have oil on hand, substitute the same amount for any non-dairy butter spread (melted). No the pumpkin pie spice isn't a typo! It works really well in this recipe. If you don't have a premade blend of pumpkin pie spice, mix together 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp cloves, 1/8 tsp nutmeg. Store any leftover cake in an air-tight container or covered with plastic wrap in the fridge for up to 3 days.