American chop suey is an Italian-influenced pasta dish that got its start in the Northeast U.S. The original recipe for calls for ground beef, but this recipe uses red lentils cooked in vegetable broth with plenty of seasoning to make it savory. Quick, easy, and comforting, it's easy to make a big batch of this and eat it throughout the week.
American Chop Suey [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda (optional)
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion and sauté until cooked down and translucent. Add minced garlic and sauté for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato paste, broth, lentils, and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring to a light boil, turn heat down, cover, and simmer on low until lentils are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Add a pinch of baking soda and flavor with sea salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook macaroni according to package. Drain and add to sauce.