Take your tummy on a tropical vacation with these burgers! These are delicious on a grilled bun with lettuce, grilled Maui onions, and a thick, grilled pineapple ring.
Aloha Teriyaki Burger [Vegan]
- 1 cup (96 g) TVP granules
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) vegetable broth or water
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) teriyaki sauce, plus extra for frying
- 2 1/2 tablespoons (19 g) ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons (45 ml) water
- 1 cup (155 g) crushed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (72 g) vital wheat gluten flour
- 1/2 cup (60 g) whole wheat flour
- Salt and pepper
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the TVP granules, vegetable broth, soy sauce, and 2 tablespoons (30 ml) teriyaki. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave for 5 to 6 minutes. Alternatively, bring the vegetable stock, soy sauce, and teriyaki to a boil in a pot, add to the TVP in a bowl, cover, and let stand for 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Add the flax egg (the flaxseed and water mixture), pineapple, brown sugar, and flours. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix well with your hands for about 5 minutes. The mixture should end up being a little sticky and stringy. Depending on the moisture level of your TVP and pineapple, you may need to add more or less flour. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes to thicken up a bit. Form into 6 patties.
- In a nonstick pan or skillet, panfry the patties, adding more teriyaki sauce to taste. The teriyaki will caramelize and make a nice dark crust.