This Almond Apple Galette is made with healthy, whole ingredients and tastes fantastic! While the pastry crust is not puffy and light, it's absolutely delicious and imparts a lot of nutrition to the dish. It’s also a breeze to make, with all the ingredients coming together in a food processor. Galette is a fancy French word for pie without the plate. This Almond Apple Galette seems fancy, but it's quite simple to make, which makes it perfect for holiday parties! Impress everyone without having to tire yourself out before the party even starts. Everyone will love this galette. The almond flavoring is so perfect with the tart apples in this dessert. You have to try it!
Almond Apple Galette With Cashew Almond Cream [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 2 cups tightly packed blanched almond flour
- 1 tablespoon ground, golden flax seeds (you could use brown flax but gold looks prettier)
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup
- ½ tsp pure almond extract
For the Filling:
- 4 cups peeled and sliced Granny Smith apples
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- dash of nutmeg for garnish
For the Almond Cream:
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
For the Pie:
- Place all crust ingredients in a food processor, except the water, and pulse until combined. With the machine running, drizzle in the water until the mixture holds together when pinched.
- Gather the dough together and form into a disc. Wrap in plastic and place in the fridge while you work on your apples.
- Place the lemon juice in a large mixing bowl.
- Peel, core and slice the apples, adding them to the bowl and tossing them with the lemon juice as you go. This will keep them from turning brown.
- Add the rice syrup, tapioca starch and almond extract and toss well to combine
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Roll your dough out on the parchment into a circle until it is about 1/4” thick. Use a sheet of plastic wrap to prevent the roller from sticking to the dough. Press the edges together if they get ragged.
- Arrange the apples in the center of the dough, leaving about 3″ around the edges uncovered. You may have have extra liquid from the apples and the rice syrup. Don’t use it! That would make the pie too wet.
- Gently fold the dough up and over the apples. Use the parchment paper to do this. It’s okay if it is not perfect. That’s part of the rustic charm.
- Top the apples with the slivered almonds and a dash of ground nutmeg.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for about another 20 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
For the Almond Cream:
- Blend all the ingredients in a high powered blender. If you don’t have a powerful blender, soak the cashews for 5 hours prior, rinse and use 1/2 cup water instead of a full cup. Then any blender will work.