Sometimes simple is better. As in the case of these "burgers". Because sometimes you just don't want all the extra calories of a bread bun, and a huge, tasty mushroom cap will suffice. And because pesto is the lovechild of natural ingredients and innovation. By the way, don't skip the garlic in the vegan garlic pesto part of the recipe. If you're not a garlic fan, replace it with some other flavor burst, because this little sandwich needs some definite flavor direction to hit all the right notes. Simple, but scrumptious!
Pesto Mushroom Burgers [Vegan]
- 4 large portobello mushrooms caps
- 2 large slices of onion
- 4 tablespoons vegan garlic pesto*
- 4 medium-small tomatoes, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped basil
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely minced
- Wipe mushroom caps with lightly dampened paper towel to brush off excess dirt.
- Layer one mushroom cap as a bottom bun, topped with a large onion slice, then spread with pesto, then layer tomato slices, and top with second mushroom cap.
- Serve immediately.
- Combine ingredients in food processor in order listed and blend for about a minute. Scrape sides and re-pulse until smooth.