Escape to morocco with this exotic vegan grilled eggplant, onion, and white bean spread.
Moroccan Grilled Eggplant, Onion, and White Bean Spread [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Sea salt to taste
- 2-8 inch Japanese eggplants, stem ends removed, and cut diagonally into 1/3-inch thick slices
- 1/2 of a medium yellow onion (or one small onion), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 large cloves garlic, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1-15.5 ounce can cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
- Zest of one-half of a medium-large lemon
- Garnish: a small bunch of 2 to 3 inch slices of chives and a sprinkling of smoked paprika per morsel (this recipe makes enough for several morsels per serving.
- Accompaniment: plain or sea salt flavored pita chips
- In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, garlic powder, smoked paprika, turmeric and sea salt.
- Check for seasoning and adjust if desired.
- Add eggplant, onion, and garlic, and toss gently to coat.
- Let marinate, tossing occasionally, for 10 or so minutes.
- Oil a well-seasoned grill pan and preheat over medium-high.
- Grill eggplant for 2-3 minutes on each side or until tender with nice grill marks.
- Remove to cutting board and set aside.
- Repeat with onion, which will cook more quickly, adding garlic during the last minute.
- Remove to the cutting board and coarsely chop.
- Add the beans to the remaining marinade in the bowl and coarsely mash.
- Add chopped vegetables, being sure to scrape any marinade and juice from the cutting board into the bowl.
- Add lemon zest.
- Gently mix together, adjust seasoning if necessary, and serve in small mounds on pita chips set on mounds of chives.
- Sprinkle with smoked paprika and serve.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile