This recipe pulls together some of the fantastic fresh produce available right now. Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables, and it's usually only available when it's in season. Fresh herbs are a great way to add different flavors to your food, and tarragon is one that often gets overlooked because people don't know what to do with it. Luckily for us, it goes really nicely with asparagus. Add some chives, garlic and lemon juice and you'll be devouring that asparagus. If you have no idea what tarragon looks like, watch the video and I'll show you. If you've never tried tarragon before, and aren't sure if you'll like it, try a nibble before you make the dish. If it's not your thing, you can make your asparagus with lots of other fantastic fresh herbs - mint and dill are also wonderful with asparagus.
Lemon Tarragon Asparagus [Vegan]
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 Tbsp fresh tarragon
- 2 Tbsp fresh chives
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon/lime juice
- Prep the asparagus by snapping off the tough ends, or peel the outer skin at the bottom of each stalk. Steam or lightly saute until the asparagus is slightly softened, but still bright green.
- Chop the tarragon and chives, and mince or press the garlic, and mix them all together in a small bowl with the olive oil. The longer this sits, the more the flavors will infuse into the oil.
- Once the asparagus is cooked, toss it with the herb-infused oil, or drizzle the herbs on top. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice.
- Try this asparagus on its own, as a side, on a sandwich or veggie burger or on top of a salad. Get creative with your asparagus!