In the middle of making my classic cornbread recipe I realized I was out of applesauce, so I subbed pumpkin. I figured I’d add sage and anise while I was at it and the result was extra-delicious. Cornbread with a little fall flavoring!
Harvest Cornbread [Vegan]
- 1 c white whole-wheat flour
- 1 c cornmeal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 to 2 tbsp minced fresh sage
- 1 c nondairy milk
- ¼ c canned pure pumpkin
- ¼ c agave nectar
- 2 tbsp raw sugar (optional)
- Pinch of ground anise (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease a standard 9-inch bread pan, 8-inch square baking pan, or shallow pie dish, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt together until well combined.
- Add sage, nondairy milk, pumpkin puree, agave nectar, plus optional sugar and anise, and stir until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the bread is firm to the touch.
If you want a strong pumpkin flavor, add several dashes of pumpkin pie spice.