The last few weeks my recipes have been heavily influenced by my farm share, as it should be this time of year. Two of my most popular posts, chocolate dipped strawberry creamsicles and lavender marionberry mason jar pie have both been born from farm share goodies. So when I found zucchini in my crate this week, the wheels in my head started turning. I played around with different ideas all week and yesterday I went to work in the kitchen. The result: a moist, rich chocolate espresso cake.
Individual Chocolate Espresso Cake [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Individual Chocolate Espresso Cake [Vegan]
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 3 tbsp water)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 small zucchini, grated (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp instant coffee
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 2 half pint mason jars or similar sized baking dish
How to Prepare Individual Chocolate Espresso Cake [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil two half pint mason jars.
- In a medium sized bowl combine wet ingredients (oil, sugar, molasses, flax egg, instant coffee, vanilla, and zucchini), stirring together until uniformly mixed.
- In a separate bowl combine the dries (flour, baking soda and powder, and salt). Add dries to wet and mix together. Do not over mix. Fold in chocolate chip.
- Fill 1/2 pint jars between 2/3 and 3/4 full. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until knife comes out clean. Allow cake to cool at least 30 minutes before removing from jar.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.