Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust (DSWT) has some very exciting (and adorable!) news: they have welcomed their first baby hippo orphan to their rescue! In December 2016, the organization received a call that an orphaned hippo was stuck in sinking mud and required immediate attention. DSWT was quick to react to save this helpless baby. Terrified and painfully sunburnt, she was grateful to be saved, and her rescue went smoothly.
The baby hippo’s caretakers decided to name her Humpty. They describe her as tame and sweet, always wanting attention from her human family. She even cries at the bedroom door at night to be let in! They also describe her as being independent-minded, choosing to stay swimming in her cool pool all day until past dark when she reluctantly waddles her way indoors.
Humpty is thriving in her new safe home and her caretakers believe in due time she will be able to join the adult hippos who live on the rescue. Hippos are often feared for being dangerous, but baby Humpty proves that they have a wide scope of emotions and personalities. While it is always best to avoid these animals unless you are a trained professional, Humpty shows us that all animals are individuals.
To learn more about DSWT, check out their website.
- These 3 Sweet Dogs Were Dumped in a Parking lot. Watch Their Rescue! [Video]
- North Carolina Women Rescue Dog Struggling to Stay Afloat After Falling into River
- Tiny Bat Trapped in Bird Netting Is the Sweetest Rescue Patient We Have Ever Seen! [Video]
- Ukraine Lion in Severe Condition After Being Rescued From Russian Shelling
- Petition: Urge Logan Paul to Donate to Help Rescued Animals
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!