Dining out or ordering in as a vegan can be challenging. But options are increasing. Domino’s, for instance, launched its first vegan pizza in Israel this week, as reported by The Washington Times.
Domino’s decision to create a veg pizza, which took six months to develop, followed a popular Facebook campaign by a vegan-friendly website that provides information on restaurants and caterers who offer dishes that don’t use animal products.
No, the pizza, with soy-based toppings and vegetables, is not available here in the United States. But if a major pizza chain is paying attention to its customers and realizes that more people are seeking vegan options, other chains may also up their vegan game.
But in order for more restaurant chains to offer vegetarian and vegan options, we must show the restaurants we want them. (Because convenient animal-free food options will help convince meat-eaters to stop eating animals or at least reduce their intake.)
Where to eat vegan pizza
Domino’s may be the first major chain to market a vegan pizza with non-dairy cheese, but vegans already have pizza options at many other chains and restaurants.
- Little Caesars. Its pizza dough, pizza sauce, crazy bread, and crazy sauce are vegan.
- Papa John’s. Its pizza sauce and dough are vegan.
- Pizza Hut. Has vegan dough, sauce, and toppings available.
- Mellow Mushroom. Has a vegan pizza with vegan cheese.
- California Pizza Kitchen. Offers vegan soup, and their pizzas made on neapolitan dough are vegan when made without cheese.
- zpizza. Has vegan choices with vegan cheese on the menu.
- Pizza Fusion. Offers vegan pizza with vegan cheese.
And many more local spots around the country offer vegan pizza as well — so be on the look-out for them (& share your favorites with us below)!
Want more vegan options? Do this:
Make your veg desires known to chains and restaurants — if enough people do so they may be compelled to make a change, or at least offer more plant-based options that go beyond salads and the same old blah black bean burger.
So go ahead: contact both chain restaurants and local ones and let your voice (and taste buds) be heard.
To get you started, here’s contact information for Domino’s U.S. headquarters:
- Call 734-930-3030 and ask them to offer the vegan pizza in the United States.
- Or use the online customer service form.
Let them know Americans want vegan options, too.