Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
After the devastating Glass Fire in California’s Napa Valley in 2020, many wine enthusiasts were wondering if the harvest would have smoke taint. Labs were slammed with grapes that producers wanted them to test to make sure that their crops were worth harvesting. BBC reported that 8 percent of California grapes that year were left to rot.
Source: CBS Mornings/YouTube
With climate change affecting the planet more and more, winemakers are increasingly worried about their crops. Warmer temperatures can make the grapes overrippen, and heatwaves and wildfires can completely take out vineyards.
Not only can Climate change affect wine production by making the crops unusable, but it also can change the taste of wine. Wildfires and warm temperatures change the flavor of the wine.
Climate change makes winemaking unpredictable, and the crops’ needs are constantly changing. While years ago, producers knew which varieties were best to grow, how to grow them, and when to harvest and ferment, now all of these are up in the air with the ever-changing climate. Now, producers are racing to find ways to preserve grape varieties and their unique flavors.
Now, the biggest question is how we can make adaptations to the production of wine and what the future of wine will look like in the coming years.
- Half a Dozen Reasons Why You Should Collect Wine Corks
- National Wine Day: 15 Delicious Plant-Based Wine-Infused Recipes!
- Singapore-Based Startup Makes World’s First Soy Wine
- The Effects of Climate Change on Sea Turtles
- ‘Nuclear Bros’ Believe Nuclear Energy Will Solve Climate Change
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!