Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
The scene is both eery and beautiful when these sperm whales flip upside down – as if to begin a dive – and take catnaps with their pods. Hanging motionless in the water for up to 12 minutes (a brief time compared to their one-breath-dives that can last up to 90 minutes), these gentle giants can nap with half of their brains off, an act that is common among cetaceans. By shutting off only half of the brain, whales ensure that they are focused on both resting AND breathing.
Unlike respiratory systems in humans, the respiratory system of a dolphin or whale is voluntary, meaning cetaceans must keep at least part of their brains awake to “trigger” each breath. They hang vertically at the water’s surface so that they have quick and easy access to oxygen when needed.
Whales spend about 7.1 percent of their time asleep, and on a super interesting note, scientists have discovered that whales even exhibit signs of REM sleep (or the phase of sleep in humans that coordinates with dreaming)!
- Dead Sperm Whale Washes Ashore With Plastic Debris and Fishing Gear in Stomach
- Emaciated Sperm Whale Washes Ashore With 330 Pounds of Fishing Gear in Stomach
- Crews Rescue 60-Ton Magnificent Sperm Whale Beached for Almost 21 Hours
- A Sperm Whale is Stranded in Alabama
- The Next Time You Use Disposable Plastics – Think of a Dead 37-Foot Sperm Whale
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!