If you’ve never heard of sound healing before, it’s a healing therapy that uses music to improve physical and emotional health and well-being. It seems as though it is taking over the wellness industry with its popularity. While this practice has been around for many years, it can now be seen all over the internet!
Different sounds can trigger certain emotions or memories for different people. Through this experience, people can explore their innermost thoughts, feelings, and beliefs and ultimately heal the body and mind. This practice is so great because of its convenience. While psychoacoustics can be done with the help of professionals, you can also do this in the comfort of your own home for free!
Source: Travel Channel/Youtube
The Origins of Sound Healing
Sound healing or sound therapy is an ancient meditative practice that uses different musical implements to create healing vibrations around the body in a meditative state and dates back thousands of years. Our ancient ancestors understood what modern science is now beginning to discover; vibration is all around us.
Singing bowl therapists, for example, use quartz crystal bowls and gongs tuned at specific frequencies for healing different parts of the body and mind. This method of sound healing is ancient and sacred in Buddhist contexts in North America, Europe, and Tibet, where it was first used around the 12th century for meditation and rituals.
How Does Sound Healing Work?
Source: Universe Inside You/Youtube
There are different types of sound therapy, including vibro-acoustic, guided meditation, and neurological music therapy. They can all be used to treat conditions like anxiety and depression. Experts explain that these practices can help activate the body’s natural healing system and promote deep restorative healing on a cellular and emotional level.
A study published in the Trends in Cognitive Sciences reported that neurological music therapy was more effective than prescription drugs in reducing anxiety before surgery. Researchers from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have also conducted studies that found a reduction in the effects of Alzheimer’s disease using light and sound therapy.
What Are The Benefits?
According to a news source, sound and music can be effective healers for a wide variety of mental, emotional, and physical problems and have been a successful treatment for several conditions such as:
- Anxiety disorders
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Learning difficulties
- Behavioral and psychiatric disorders
- Sleep disorders
- Aches and pains
According to a news source, people also report experiencing:
- Reduced stress
- Fewer mood swings
- Lower blood pressure
- Lower cholesterol levels
- Improved pain management
- Improved sleep
- Eat These Healthy Foods to Bring Balance to the Mind and Body
- How to Take Care of Your Circadian Rhythm
- 10 Health and Wellness Predictions for 2022
- Five Amazing Plant-Based Healing Foods Used Around The World
- How to Start Going to Therapy
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.