Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
When trying to make your life more eco-friendly, it’s not just about what you eat and your overall diet. Everything from the shampoos and soaps you use to the glass cleaner and furniture polish you use contain toxins that can harm you and the environment.
Pine Sol has long been regarded as one of the preeminent floor and wood cleaners. But the ‘power of Pine Sol’ may be short-lived. Cleaners and Pine Sol contain a dangerous chemical you should steer clear of. Better yet, there are much cheaper DIY alternatives that are safer to use on your floors and furniture.
Toulene: The Nasty Chemical Lurking in Pine Sol
Why exactly should you stop buying Pine Sol and look into more natural alternatives? It all comes down to one nasty little chemical: toluene. Toulene has been linked to birth defects, hormonal imbalances, pregnancy complications, and even certain types of cancer. And yet it’s still included in tons of cleaners like Pine Sol. It’s also no coincidence these products are advertised towards women who bear the front of these physical/health complications. Do you really want to still be cleaning with this product?
Tips for Making Your Own Cleaners
Making your own household cleaners has become increasingly popular these days. Thanks to social media sites like Pinterest, there are a ton of recipes and resources for making your own kitchen counter cleaners, glass cleaners, and furniture polishes. Keep these tips in mind when making natural cleaners:
- Vinegar is a natural disinfectant and cleaner. You can easily make an all-purpose cleaner using a combination of vinegar and water.
- Baking soda is another natural cleaner. It’s great for getting rust off of faucets or cleaning stoves that are loaded with food and spills from preparing dinner.
- Essential oils are your best friend when it comes to making your own cleaners! Make your home cleaner smell like Pine Sol by adding a few drops of essential pine oil to your homemade concoction.
- Castile Soap is a natural cleaner for toilets, showers, and other porcelain surfaces. It’s also great for wood surfaces, making it a prime Pine Sole ingredient.
Making Homemade Pine Sol
To make a toxin-free Pine Sol at home for a fraction of the cost, try this recipe:
- 1 tablespoon unscented liquid castile soap
- 4 cups warm water
- 10 to 15 drops pine essential oil
- Sprig of rosemary (optional)
These ingredients will help you create a natural cleaner that’s perfect for everyday use. It’s toxin-free, made of natural ingredients you can readily find at your local general store, and smells just like Pine Sol! Read the full recipe here.
Having a toxic-free home doesn’t require buying all sorts of strange and expensive eco-friendly cleaners. Remember that you’re in control of not only what you eat, but also what beauty products you use and the household cleaners you use. Gradually work on cutting out the toxins in your life and you’ll reap the benefits of a green and healthy lifestyle. What are some of your favorite DIY household cleaning products?
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!