What comes to mind when you think of lavender? Sleepiness? Quiet time? The gentle purple hues of spring? Many people rightly associate lavender with its abilities to ease nerves and induce sleep. However, this traditional herbal medicine has many more qualities that can improve your life, starting today! This list details just seven of the countless ways lavender oil can change your beauty and home care routine. First:
A Few Essential Things to Keep in Mind
1.Lavender’s latin name is Lavare, meaning “to wash”. This comes from its clean aroma scent.
2. According to Oils and Plants, “[s]ome people with low blood pressure may feel a bit dull and drowsy after using this oil. It is an emmenagogue too, so best avoided in the early months of pregnancy.”
3. It’s one of the few essential oils considered totally safe for use on children. Remember, not all essential oils are suitable for use on children because of potential for skin irritations and even toxicities.
Seven Ways Lavender Oil Can Change Your Life
1. It’ll improve your first aid kit – naturally! Lavender oil is naturally antibacterial and always gentle on the skin, making it a perfect herb for soothing and promoting the healing of cuts and scrapes. I recommend making a simple salve or just adding lavender oil to coconut oil and rubbing onto the affected area.
2. Lavender oil is amazing at reducing menstrual pains. Use upon onset of cramps. For a full body relaxation treatment try this: start with a few drops of lavender oil in a warm bath. Afterwards, rub some lavender salve into your lower abdomenon and onto your temples.
3. It can repel insects without the heavy chemical dose on your skin and in the air. While summer’s passed now, this is still important for your home. Prevent bug infestations and winter hibernation by spraying or dabbing all windows, door frames, etc. with lavender oil.
4. Lavender oil can help with urinary disorders. According to Organic Facts, “[l]avender essential oil is good for urinary disorders because of its stimulating effect on urine production.”
5. According to Aroma Web, lavender oil can help ease an earache. Remember, any at home use comes with risk. Consult a professional before using it.
6. Add just a few drops of lavender oil to your dryer sheet today for a fresher-than-ever load of laundry. You can get rid of smoke smells, pet odors and more this way. Don’t just cover up smells; actually neutralize them for good! You can even add a few drops directly to your laundry soap for an even fresher boost of lavender scent! This particular herb oil works well for this because it is clear; you don’t have to worry about colors imparting on your fabrics!
7. Lavender had been known to improve blood circulation. Organic Facts reminds us,”[t]his means that not only do the organs increase their levels of oxygenation, promoting muscle strength and health, but brain activity can have a noticeable boost, skin remains bright and flushed with blood, and the body is protected from the risks of heart attack and artherosclerosis that is often associated with poor circulation.”
Lavender oil is great for far more than just relaxing us. It can be used to promote health. It is gentle, effective and safe. However, always remember to only purchase oils from reputable and, ideally, organic sources.
Image source: randihausken/ Flickr