Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
If warm weather fun has already left your hair drier than you’d like, try this easy coconut banana cream “pie” hair mask. The banana’s potassium will repair some of that fun-in-the-sun hair damage, and the coconut will add needed moisture. What’s more: it smells divine, and you can even eat the leftovers if you want! Masks like this are easy to make and save you money — and you’ll avoid needless exposure to the chemicals found in store-bought hair mask mixtures too.
- One can of full-fat coconut milk
- ½ medium banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cool water
- A hand mixer
- Pre-chill your coconut milk by placing it in the fridge overnight the day before you make your mask.
- On mask day, remove the coconut milk from the fridge and scoop off the firm layer of milk that has formed toward the top of your can. Put this in a large mixing bowl. Avoid scooping out any of the liquid if possible.
- In a separate bowl, mash the half banana well with a fork or potato masher – and mash it well! You want it near a liquid state. Add the mashed banana mixture to your mixing bowl.
- Add in the vanilla extract and water.
- Whip these ingredients with your hand mixer on high until it’s light and fluffy. If it needs a bit more “fluff,” add in a bit more water, one-half teaspoon at a time.
- After wetting your hair with hot water (this will open your hair cuticles and allow the mask to adhere), apply the hair mask from root to tip.
- Wait 10 – 15 minutes – for the best effect, wrap head in a towel while the mixture sits.
- Rinse well with warm water.
- Enjoy your silky locks!
- 3 Steps to DIY Hair Care for Guys
- DIY Natural, Non-Toxic Hair Perfume [Video]
- DIY Rosemary and Mint ‘No Poo’ Hair Cleansing Rinse
- 5 DIY Alternatives to Conventional Hair Sprays, Mousses, and Gels
- DIY Tropical Coconut, Chocolate, and Orange Hot Oil Hair Treatment
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!