In this recipe, Japanese eggplants are halved and grilled until they begin to brown. They're then coated with a gingery and umami dressing that complements the creaminess of the cooked eggplant. Serve these delicious eggplants on a bed of freshly cooked coconut, with more vegetables on the side.
Grilled Eggplant With Ginger Dressing [Vegan]
- 6 Japanese eggplants
- 2-3 spring onions
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1/2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2-3 red Thai chilis
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for cooking
- 1 cup coconut rice, cooked
- Halve the eggplants lengthways and place them cut side down under a grill on medium-high heat. Brush thoroughly with olive oil and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the skin is starting to brown and crackle. Flip over, brush the cut sides with olive oil, and grill for a further 6-8 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the sauce in a bowl by whisking together the sesame oil, mirin, tamari, and rice wine vinegar. Finely grate the ginger, add it to the sauce, and stir to combine.
- Finely slice both the spring onion and the red chili.
- Divide the coconut rice between three bowls. When the eggplant is ready lay them atop the rice bowls, cut side up. Drizzle with the sauce and finish off by sprinkling over the sesame seeds and thin slices of chili and spring onion.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS