It's a great addition to salads, sandwiches, soups...even desserts! But don't let me fool you-its addictive. You'll get to the point where you'll barely be able to walk by a bag without grabbing a handful of the stuff...or is that just me? The recipe is super easy to make, and a great way to teach non-vegans that we make damn good food too!
- 3 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine liquid smoke, braggs, maple syrup, and water in a large mixing bowl. Pour in flaked coconut, using a wooden spoon to gently toss the coconut in the liquid mixture. If adding smoked paprika, add and toss to coat evenly. Once the coconut is evenly coated, pour it onto a non-stick baking sheet and slide it the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes, using a spatula to flip the ‘bacon’ about every 5 minutes so it cooks evenly. This stuff WILL burn if you’re not keeping an eye on it and regularly flipping it, so please do. Coconut bacon can be stored in a sealed bag or container for up to a month, refrigerator optional.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS