Chocolate Cupcakes with Pumpkin Coconut Frosting [Vegan]
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup cane sugar
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips dairy-free, melted
Pumpkin Coconut Frosting
- 13.5 oz. coconut milk, refrigerated and cream removed from the top
- 4 Tbsp. pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line mini cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to sift. Set asid.
- In a large bowl beat almond milk, brown sugar, cane sugar, oil, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate chips. The easiest way to do this is in a microwave for 30 seconds, stir, then microwave for another 30 seconds and stir until all the chips are melted.
- Add the melted chocolate chips to the wet batter and beat for 30 seconds until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, half at a time, mixing on low until completely combined.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 10 ~ 15 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted comes out pretty clean. My mini cupcakes took closer to 15 minutes to cook, but it is always a good idea to check them at 10 minutes so that they don’t dry out.
- Cool cupcakes completely before frosting.
For Pumpkin Frosting:
- Refrigerate the can of coconut milk the night before or for a few hours in the fridge. You only want to use the solid cream from the top of the can.
- Add the coconut cream to a large mixing bowl, along with the pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and confectioners’ sugar. Beat on medium speed for one minutes until the ingredients are combined, then increase speed to high and beat for another 3 minutes.