This Sweet Potato Tofu Pizza works great as breakfast, lunch or dinner. I like to have a slice with salad or soup in the evening, followed by a leftover slice for breakfast. This pizza also makes for a healthy, portable snack. The tofu scramble topping can be easily adjusted to fit your tastes. Toss in some extra spices to match your cravings, or swap out one veggie for another.
Sweet Potato Tofu Pizza
This Recipe is :
- 1 whole wheat pizza crust
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons plain almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 block of extra firm tofu, drained and pressed (learn how to make tofu by following this recipe)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the sweet potato in the microwave until done.
- Remove the potato from the microwave and peel and discard of the skin. You can also opt to leave the skin on (I haven’t tried this but it would probably be delicious).
- In a small bowl, use a hand mixer on low-medium speed to mix together the sweet potato, almond milk, vegan butter, 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- Spread the mashed potato mixture on top of the pizza dough, stopping approximately 1/2″ from the edges.
- Heat the coconut oil over medium heat in a skillet.
- Add in the red onion, garlic, celery, bell pepper, and remaining salt and pepper.
- Cook the veggies until the celery softens, roughly 5 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Crumble the tofu into small pieces and add it to the skillet.
- Stir in the turmeric.
- Cook the tofu and veggies for 10 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes.
- Add in the spinach leaves and cook until the leaves wilt, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Pour the tofu mixture on top of the pizza and spread it out evenly.
- Brush the edges of the pizza crust with the olive oil.
- Bake the pizza in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, slice it up and serve it warm.
If your pizza dough isn't pre-made, prepare and bake it per the instructions on the package (or make homemade dough if you're not a lazy face like I am).