This recipe was born out of necessity. The need: a fitting “thank you” treat for our fabulous Computer Resource duo at the high school where I teach. That would have been simple enough except that in answer to the question, “What’s your favorite cookie?” the response from one of them was “That kitchen sink variety; you know the ones with everything in them: caramel, toffee, and all that good stuff.” What to do? Get creative with what I could procure easily! We do have mini chocolate chips available locally. And I’ve always loved ice cream with chocolate sandwich cookie chunks, so the idea of those two ingredients combined with some nuts sounded scrumptious. But to really be a “kitchen sink” cookie, I felt I needed one more item. A mental scan of possibilities turned up graham crackers, a favorite since childhood. And, voila!, the Chocolate Chip and Chunk Cookie was born. It promises to be a favorite for all ages in your household! Nifty packaging idea: One of my students from Russia loves Pringles and I asked her if I could have her leftover canisters. She happily obliged and I simply wash them out, dry them, wrap them in colorful scrapbooking paper, embellish with ribbon and a card, and then stack the cookies inside. It keeps them fresh and looks fabulous!
Chocolate Chip and Chunk Cookies [Vegan]
- ½ cup vegan butter, room temperature
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup natural sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk, preferably at room temperature (plain or vanilla soy milk works too)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- optional: 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups homemade “Vegan Chocolate Chip and Chunk Mixture” (see recipe below)
- 1 8-ounce package organic chocolate sandwich cookies (e.g. *Country Choice or another organic palm-free brand) broken into small pieces (it sounds tedious, but goes quickly)
- 1 8-ounce sleeve of vegan Graham crackers broken into similar size pieces
- 1 10-ounce package vegan mini chocolate chips
- 1 6-ounce package pecan pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line 2 baking sheets with Silpat or parchment paper.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until it is light and fluffy. Slowly blend in the soy milk, vanilla and optional almond extract.
- Add the flour and baking soda, and mix on low speed until well combined. Then fold in the “Vegan Chocolate Chip and Chunk Mixture.”
- Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly golden brown. (Or use an ice cream scoop to make 9 to 10 extra large cookies, pressing the mounds down to about a 1/2″ tall disk, leaving 2 inches between them, and baking for approximately 15 minutes.)
- Cool slightly on cookie sheets and then remove to racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers.
- Pour all ingredients into an airtight carton, combine gently with fingers, reserve 2 cups for recipe, and freeze remainder.