This is a must-try for any pizza aficionado. Butternut squash is roasted along with a head of garlic and processed until it turns into a smooth, creamy sauce. A simple, unique, and yummy sauce for a pizza! The crispy sage leaves are fun to make and add a really cool taste and texture and dollops of creamy cashew cheese add perfect flavor. Peppery arugula adds some fresh greens and lastly, a drizzle of balsamic reduction for a sweet pop of flavor.
Winter Squash and Sage Pizza [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
2 10-inch pizzas
For the Sauce:
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed (about half an average butternut squash)
- 1 head garlic
For the Crispy Sage:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Approximately 24 sage leaves
For the Cashew Cheese:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked 1-2 hours
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- A pinch of salt and pepper
For the Rest:
- Pizza crust of choice
- Balsamic reduction
To Make the Sauce:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Toss the butternut squash cubes with a drizzle of coconut oil, salt, and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet and cook for 30 minutes, until fork tender.
- Chop the bottom off of the head of garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap up in aluminum foil. Cook for 40 minutes.
- Combine squash and 6 medium cloves of garlic together in a blender or food processor. Purée until smooth. Set aside.
To Make the Sage:
- Heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add sage leaves in a single layer and let fry for 15-30 seconds until crispy. Remove leaves onto a paper towel-lined plate so excess oil can drain. Set aside.
To Make the Cashew Cheese:
- Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Bake pizza crust according to package directions. Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread the butternut sauce on the pizza and bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and add arugula, dollops of cashew cheese, crispy sage, and drizzle with balsamic reduction.