Crispy, golden, fried pizza dough, salty olives and capers, ooey-gooey melty cheese, zingy tomato sauce and a bit of spinach to let you think you’re eating something healthy. Each panzarotti is like a little present you get to open with your mouth. And since the recipe makes about a dozen, it’s the best kind of gift – the kind you get to share with others.
Puttanesca Panzarottis [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Puttanesca Panzarottis [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1-28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 batch prepared gluten-free pizza dough
- Brown rice flour, for dusting
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella shreds
- 2 Tbs. capers
- 2 Tbs. Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach, shredded
- Vegan grated parmesan
- Canola oil, for frying
How To Make Puttanesca Panzarottis [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Prepare the sauce by squeezing each peeled tomato over a bowl to remove the juice and seeds. Keep the tomato flesh in another bowl. Roughly chop the tomato flesh. To the tomato flesh, add the parsley, basil, oregano, pepper, salt, red pepper flakes and garlic powder. Mix well and set aside.
- Dust a clean surface with flour. Roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thick. Using a cookie cutter (3” or 5” depending how big you want the panzarotti), cut circles out of the dough. Take the leftover dough and roll it out again to make more circles.
- On one half of each circle, place 1 Tbs. of mozzarella shreds, 1 Tbs. tomato sauce, ¼ tsp. capers, ¼ tsp. olives and some spinach. Sprinkle on a bit of grated parmesan. Fold the circle over and seal the edges closed. Use fork tines to completely seal the edges.
- In a heavy pot, heat 6 inches of oil to 350 degrees. Deep-fry the panzarotti in batches of 3 or 4 until golden and crispy, about 4 minutes. Place them on a paper towel lined plate and then move to a cooling rack. If you are not planning to eat them right away, keep them on a baking sheet in a 200 degree oven so they stay crisp.
- Serve with tomato sauce for dipping, if desired. Enjoy!
Total (before added calories from frying) Calories: 1,429 | Total Carbs: 208 g | Total Fat: 59 g | Total Protein: 31 g | Total Sodium: 2,957 mg | Total Sugar: 30 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile