Makhani translates to 'with butter' - it's a pretty creamy dish, and is the same thing as butter chicken (murgh makhani), so also very similar to the British equivalent, tikka masala. If you liked any of those non-vegan dishes, you'll be sure to like our vegan tofu makhani!
Tofu Makhani [Vegan]
- 1 onion - roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - minced/finely diced
- 1 inch piece of ginger - minced/finely diced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup tomato passata
- 1 cup oat cream (or other non-dairy cream)
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy butter
- 1/4 cup ground almonds - just blend a load of whole almonds
- 1 block extra-firm tofu - chopped into cubes
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Splash of peanut oil
- Put your oil in a large pan and bring up to a medium-high heat.
- Fry the onion until it's started to soften and turn translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger, spices, bay leaf and cook for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Pour in the passata, give it a stir and bring up to a simmer.
- Stir in the cream, butter and ground almonds - if the curry starts to look too thick at this point, just add some water, as the almonds can cause it to thicken up.
- Add the tofu and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Put the peas and lime juice in, give it a good stir and season to taste.
- Serve up with rice and some delicious naan bread for the perfect vegan tofu makhani.